TDCJ Residential Program Counselor
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a full caseload and perform the following services: facilitate alcohol and drug education groups, information, intervention, assessment, referral, group, and individual counseling services.
- Responsible for the collection and entry of client/program data as required.
- Meet with professional and other community entities to enhance referral sources and ensure continuity of care for clients.
- Work closely with Probation/Parole Officers to facilitate client care and completion of requirements.
- Ensure that client files are maintained according to TDCJ and DSHS standards contract requirements and with Federal Confidentially Laws and BVCASA’s Policies and Procedures.
- Follow all finance department procedures and requirements to ensure complete and accurate billing of services.
- Maintain client confidentiality in accordance with Federal Confidentiality laws and BVCASA policies and procedures.
- Function as a Qualified Credentialed Counselor for assigned LCDC Counselor Interns.
- Provide appropriate supervision and complete paperwork as designated by DSHS and BVCASA.
- Complete all initial and ongoing training as needed for contract compliance and to maintain licensure.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Residential Program Manager or Executive Director.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in education, social work, behavioral science, or related field, or graduation from an accredited senior high school with five (5) years’ work experience in substance abuse counseling with increasing responsibilities of supervision and management in outpatient services. Extensive knowledge of alcohol and drug abuse and its psychological and social effects. Experience in TDCJ/TTC Programs and supervision of staff strongly preferred.
Licensed as an LPC, MSW, or LCDC in the State of Texas. An LCDC who holds a master’s or other advanced degree must complete at least 24 hours of continuing education during each two-year licensure period. An LCDC who does not hold a master’s or other advanced degree must complete at least 40 hours of continuing education.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of community resources, assessments, interventions, and referrals sources
- Experience with clients in a treatment setting is desirable
- Extensive skill in facilitating group counseling and individual sessions
- Must have good case management skills and after care follow-up techniques
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and relate well to individuals and groups
- Ability to establish rapport with clients, their children and family members
- Ability to represent BVCASA with a positive image
- Must have a high standard of professional ethics and integrity with all clients, within the community and with BVCASA personnel
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, organizations, and general public
- Ability to enforce policies and procedures of BVCASA
- Must have and maintain a general level of good health; physical, mental and emotional
- Willingness to receive and to respond positively to supervision
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) capabilities are preferred, but not required
For more information on these or other open positions, please contact BVCASA’s Human Resources Department at (979) 846-3560. BVCASA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants. You can email your application to email@example.com.
DOWNLOAD A BVCASA JOB APPLICATION HERE:
**Downloads are available in Adobe PDF format. You must have Microsoft Office or Adobe Reader to download the application. You can download Adobe Reader for free by clicking HERE. Otherwise, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the application via email, or you may call (979) 846-3560 to arrange to pick up a hard copy.
Job descriptions are an outline of general duties needed to fulfill the requirements of the job and may be modified as services and funding needs change.